Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sixense ALPHA MC Editor Bug Report

Including what I've already stated in the "Binding Group Fun!" thread, it also seems that it's difficult to tell it which key I'd like pressed when designating key press actions. By default it picks "a", and when ticking the box to "LET ME TYPE!!" it will take my input but it will not save it. Also, all the up and down value adjustments in the UI do not seem to be working.

I would also love the ability to copy a Binding from one binding group and to paste it in another binding group if I'd like to switch things up (for example: if I accidentally enter a binding under the wrong binding group). And rather than the default binding group being left as a blank text field it would be awesome if it had a name like "default" or something lol.

As this is an ALPHA release, I have no expectations of perfections here. Just submitting bugs

PS: how do I add "shift" or "escape" or the like into the key presses? Would I simply type it in as a string?

Quote Originally Posted by Ajores View Post
    Including what I've already stated in the "Binding Group Fun!" thread, it also seems that it's difficult to tell it which key I'd like pressed when designating key press actions..
    You should just be able to press buttons and the edit box will populate itself with the correct terminology. I put the "LET ME TYPE" checkbox there just in case it doesn't work for some. I guess I didn't check that actually worked. I'll take a look.

Also, all the up and down value adjustments in the UI do not seem to be working.
    Yeah, none of those are wired up yet .

I would also love the ability to copy a Binding from one binding group and to paste it in another binding group if I'd like to switch things up (for example: if I accidentally enter a binding under the wrong binding group).
    I do plan on adding this. Currently, when you delete the binding group you can move all of the bindings into a binding group. I thought I wired that up for bindings, I guess not.

And rather than the default binding group being left as a blank text field it would be awesome if it had a name like "default" or something lol.
    I've struggled implementing this. What if someone wants to name a binding group Default?

As this is an ALPHA release, I have no expectations of perfections here. Just submitting bugs
    True, but keep the bugs / suggestions coming.

PS: how do I add "shift" or "escape" or the like into the key presses? Would I simply type it in as a string?
    See above. Let me know if that isn't working for you.
    Danny Woodall
    Creative Director
    Sixense Studios

Our STEM System Kickstarter project has been funded! More information at
    sixense.com/stem

Thanks for the quick response Danny! I'm also testing out the new MCE build, will let you know how it works.

One thing I noticed is there's no more empty field for unbound bindings, which may or may not simply be due to the fact I haven't set any bindings up as unbound in this mce I'm working on. In any event, I agree that "Default" might be a popular binding group name that people would like to use, but I dare say something like "Unbound Bindings" would work out great imo.

EDIT: Actually I'm going to have to say it's a must that it's something other than an empty string regardless. I was about to report that the MCEditor is not playing nice with the Default Mouse Pointer mce, when I clicked the empty string in the Binding Groups box and all of a sudden everything showed up. I think there needs to be some sort of indicator that it's there so users don't think they have no binding groups therefor nothing to select.

As for the save feature, I can confirm it seems to be working like a gem now. Thanks for that

You should just be able to press buttons and the edit box will populate itself with the correct terminology. I put the "LET ME TYPE" checkbox there just in case it doesn't work for some. I guess I didn't check that actually worked. I'll take a look.
    You're absolutely right! It is working just fine without enabling the "LET ME TYPE" option. I am not sure how I missed that.
    Last edited by Ajores; 04-30-2012 at 03:09 PM.

In case you missed it, I've also wired up controller input of Button Press and Trigger conditions. I plan on adding more of that where it makes sense. It might even make sense to make an mce for the editor at some point.
    Danny Woodall
    Creative Director
    Sixense Studios

sixense.com/stem

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    In case you missed it, I've also wired up controller input of Button Press and Trigger conditions. I plan on adding more of that where it makes sense. It might even make sense to make an mce for the editor at some point.
    Oh wow, just tested that out. Very slick! An MCE for an MCE(ditor) eh? Ironic I doesn't seem to work though if you have the MC2 enabled with the Default Mouse Pointer on, yes? In addition it would be awesome if the Editor could detect the threshold at which I pull the triggers, or be just "so" smart as to come up with the correct conditions based on the type of button press I do (such as a hold, or a double tap, or a simple "normal" press).

Could there also be a feature to not only detect errors but to also highlight bindings that "may" conflict with other bindings even if their logic is sound? (EDIT: My reasoning for this is it would help with the learning process of creating one's own mce so as to better understand what it happening. I could see this being useful if I'm not sure what the difference is between a "delay_on" binding vs a "only_off" binding for the same button if I have it bound twice to try and accomplish two different tasks. Perhaps the actions make sense and would play nicely together, but it'd be nice to see them highlighted in the binding window as sharing a potentially conflicting condition or etc. One situation that, perhaps, would not result in two bindings being highlighted in red [but perhaps yellow?] would be if the same button is set twice under a double_tap, hold_exclusive, and a <filter>normal</filter> condition and therefor not conflicting but sharing a similar button.)
    Last edited by Ajores; 04-30-2012 at 03:24 PM.

Unfortunately as it turns out, there is some kind of bug when you load an mce with any "toggle" bindings. I was editing the default.mce; I deleted the "enter" binding on the trigger (so that I could safely use the global commands). I saved and reloaded the .mce in the MC2 app and suddenly I had to hold down the P1R start in order to keep it enabled rather than toggling it. I took a look at the mce I had saved and the original default.mce and noticed the toggle condition hadn't stuck.

I opened up my mce in the Editor and found the "Enables Cursor" binding and edited it. All I had to do was tick the toggle box and save it. I reloaded it in the MC2 and it worked fine. However, upon loading my mce again with the Editor to see if it would load the toggle status, it did not. I also checked other mces to see if I designated a button as toggle if it'd load. They all saved correctly, but upon loading them the toggles were gone.

In addition it would be awesome if the Editor could detect the threshold at which I pull the triggers...
    That works, you have to check the custom threshold checkbox first i think.

or be just "so" smart as to come up with the correct conditions based on the type of button press I do (such as a hold, or a double tap, or a simple "normal" press).
    Too bad I don't have voice recognition to create bindings. That'd be awesome and funny at the same time.

"MotionCreator...Create Binding...Condition1....Left Button 4 Press...Action1...key F"

All joking aside, that'd be cool and probably easy to add.

Could there also be a feature to not only detect errors but to also highlight bindings that "may" conflict with other bindings even if their logic is sound?
    Error checking will surely come...eventually. The great thing about a gui is that I can be smart about what options can be checked. For instance, not allow on_only and off_only to be checked. For all controls, I will eventually wire up the help documentation as I started to in the MotionCreator app. For instance, hitting F1 while the delay_on control is selected will take you to the delay_on page in the MotionCreator help documentation.

Another example might be that you have created a binding on a button press already then added a binding on the same button but as a hold. When you click ok to accept the condition, I could pop up a dialog and say something to the effect of:

hey i see you already have a binding on that button. Do you want to make this hold button condition an exclusive hold? NOTE: Exclusive hold will cause your other button press condition to become a button release condition.
    Danny Woodall
    Creative Director
    Sixense Studios

sixense.com/stem

That works, you have to check the custom threshold checkbox first i think.
    Tested, works! Again reconfirming that you do have to turn off the MC2 or at least the default.mce, and reload the Editor. Just in case anyone else is following this.

All joking aside, that'd be cool and probably easy to add.
    lol Hey, I am pretty sure I read somewhere on this forum that someone among you would like to try adding a head piece... But otherwise, I am really looking forward to seeing how you implement this

hey i see you already have a binding on that button. Do you want to make this hold button condition an exclusive hold? NOTE: Exclusive hold will cause your other button press condition to become a button release condition.
    Oh, I absolutely second this! That would really help make this Editor accessible to folk, and in general that would be a wonderful feature to have. I was of the opinion that I am happy with dealing with the XML before I got some experience with the Editor today, but if this was a feature then I wouldn't really have a reason to start with the XML aside from just bug checking.

Tested, works! Again reconfirming that you do have to turn off the MC2 or at least the default.mce, and reload the Editor. Just in case anyone else is following this.
    Acually you just need to dock the controllers once after launching the editor. I'll have to make that all play nice.
    Danny Woodall
    Creative Director
    Sixense Studios

sixense.com/stem

Few more bugs to report:

Again restating that toggle isn't working correctly, refer to post #6.

A new one I'm encountering is the Mouse Pointer setting. Create a new .mce , create 2 or more Mouse Pointer binding groups (enable one). Make the enabled mouse pointer binding anything you want, and leave the other binding group mouse pointers blank. Save, and now reload. Problem isn't obvious at first most likely. However, change the other binding group mouse pointer to something different than your enabled mouse pointer, then save and reload. Both mouse pointers will probably be P1R Mouselook with a freelook_max_speed of 45.00 and 1.25 freelook_max_blend_time.

Anyway, for whatever reason I can't seem to set different mouse pointers for different binding groups. They all change to the enabled one or they all default to something not what I set. This is ... very annoying lol.

Also, I'm not sure if the mouse pointer "enabled" status sticks. Might be related to the above, or might not.

EDIT:
    Acually you just need to dock the controllers once after launching the editor. I'll have to make that all play nice.
    Will check this out

EDIT2: Works lol, very nice. Just dock the two controls and pick em up again. Does conflict a bit with the default.mce, but you did say it might be appropreate to make an editor mce.... maybe it'd be better to have a disable controller binding global command or something? Idk.
    Last edited by Ajores; 05-01-2012 at 10:49 AM.