Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Osc 1.0

Osc 1.0

Unlike the MIDI App, this Open Sound Control program sends controller data for buttons, trigger, control stick, position, and orientation. Unlike the OSC program Sixense made at some point, this allows musical control (or whatever you want to do with it) at 250 Hz. The source code (OSC.cpp) should be self-explanatory about how to use it. Using Code::Blocks and MinGW, I whipped this together for someone, so it only supports the left controller, doesn't send velocity or acceleration information (couldn't figure out how to remove linking errors), and sends all rotation data directly from the SDK (maybe someone can figure out how to map it to intuitive euler angles despite no axis going through the controller - there's got to be some euler angle formula).

Let me know if I should take the ten minutes to add the right controller...

Whoops. Forgot the attachment, but the file limit's too low for it. See here for the zip.

first of all thanks alot
    i think alot of people can use the hydra as a musical controller i think the idea is awsome
    and im sure that with enough codes you can make dubsteps with it pretty easily
    maybe think about making a drum map so you can drum with the hydra's...youre an inspiration mate keep up the fine work [=
    p.s.. of course you should make a right controller

Well, I finally got around to it! No excuses, so anyway, here's a more complete Windows OSC program (and source, dll's, etc.), again made available elsewhere due to the file size limit here. Physical data for both left and right controllers is accessible as UDP packets over port 7022, and I included a readme (and glfw.h) this time.

Fun fact one: The Hydra is quite usable outside of a six-foot radius.

Fun fact two: LINUX AND MAC SDKS ARE AVAILABLE! (if you didn't know this already)

Sixense recently released them. Those and the Windows SDK are all free. I hope more people might get interested in using the Hydra for musical control (or anything else that OSC makes easy) now. I forget that one university professor I contacted last year who said a music department wasn't interested in using it for research because of the lack of Mac support... From Berkeley or something.

P.S. Sixense, when are you going to replace the MIDI App with this?

For anyone interested in figuring out the center, axes, etc. of the controller, I just found this pic of the Hydra's circuitry.

Hey everyone,

I've been working on a new build of the OSC app and have been working with it within Max/MSP. It's really versatile and there are lots of great things you can do with it.
    Here is the newest OSC app, and a Hydra Template patch for Max that has all of the parameters laid out visually.

Also, we are currently porting the MIDI app and OSC app to OSX so we all have that to look forward to. In a future version, we are going to combine these two apps to send both data types simultaneously so you can have the most options available.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Ryan Allmand
    MIDI Developer

I was just thinking about adding MIDI support. This is completely unexpected, Sixense (and Ryan). You haven't abandoned it after all. I'll have to check it out.

But...what's new about the existing MIDI or OSC stuff? Any documentation to enlighten us? It'd be cool if you (or someone, maybe me) added MIDI to the OSC program, since that one actually allows access to the entire controller states, and thus someone who needs to get it with MIDI can do so (or simply not have to run both at the same time.

The current MIDI application has all of the buttons, triggers, and control sticks available for mapping, as does the OSC program. With regard to running both at the same time, the next SMC will have the option of selecting which data streams you wish to utilize. For example, OSC on the left hand, MIDI on the right, or both on both hands, any combination really.
    Ryan Allmand
    MIDI Developer

That sure is an improvement! Again, docs plz!